Thursday, October 20, 2016

Snakes

Informational Texts

I am no snake lover by any means, but Nic Bishop does an amazing job of capturing photos of various snakes. They are enlarged enough for readers to see every coil of their body, so much so that you feel it's going to slither right off the page! Descriptive paragraphs with simple yet insightful text with special coloring and font emphasis on main ideas and supporting details. At the end, not only is there is an index and glossary, but a personal account of Bishop's challenges in photographing his subjects. Highly recommend for any science classroom!

Title: Snakes
Author/Illustrator: Nic Bishop
Publisher/Date: Scholastic Inc 2012
ISBN: 978-0-545-20638-9
Rating: 5 out of 5

3 comments:

  1. This seems like a really cool book for science class! There are a lot of books like this at my field placement at Seven Generations. They focus a lot on science so they have a lot of informational text in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely am not a snake lover either,but this looks like an awesome book for children! I think the authentic pictures really enhance the text, and the fact that he included a glossary as well as a personal account of capturing the photographs really help the children gain a lot of insight into Snakes! Scholastic has a lot of great non-fiction books for kids with tons of great photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely HATE snakes, but this is a very good book for children who are interested in the topic! I also like that the pictures are real life images rather than just illustrations. It makes the content more realistic. I could definitely see this being used in a science classroom!

    ReplyDelete